Before it gets too last-minute and because I don’t know what my internet access is going to be like during my first weeks in South Africa, here is some more specific information about my whereabouts and activities. First, my address for the first two months of pre-service training will be:
Claire Tindula
Peace Corps
PO Box 9536
Pretoria 0001
South Africa
For the first week after our arrival in Johannesburg on the 29th, we will be staying at a college near Dennilton in Mpumalanga Province, about two hours outside of Pretoria. After that, we will move in with our host families, where we will be until March 25th. So for that time mail will go to the Peace Corps office in Pretoria and then be distributed to us at our respective villages/homes. After we move to our permanent sites, I will have my own address that I will post. Write me, please! Shameless plea, I know, but I already know how much I will need it :) And I will be doing my best to send postcards and letters out and back.
From what I understand, pre-service training is going to consist of a combination of language, cultural, safety, and technical training, with visits to other volunteers’ sites and one to our own future sites toward the end of training. Hopefully I will have the chance to provide some updates during this period, but if not I will try and do my best to fill those of you interested in afterward, or via snail mail. Also, sometime in the first two months or shortly thereafter, if service permits, I may be in possession of a cell phone (don’t worry Mom and Dad, I will call you before then!), so I will let you know.
Now back to packing, isiZulu lessons, kicking this stupid cold, and trying not to drown in the torrential rain bombarding Southern California.
No comments:
Post a Comment